The application portal opens to you for 45 days beginning TODAY, Monday, June 5, for residents interested in the first two new housing options: Reunion (ages 55+) and Origin Circle.
Find all of the eligibility requirements: nrha.us/housing/apply/eligibility-rent-determination
Need assistance? Contact People First: (757) 390-4365.
- Creating new housing options and choices for Tidewater Gardens public-housing residents
- Connecting the St. Paul’s area to downtown Norfolk’s mixed-income residential population and economic activity
- Protecting the neighborhood through storm- and tidal-resilient design
- Helping repair generations of economic and racial segregation in Norfolk
The Choice Neighborhoods Initiative implementation calls for 714 new housing units to be developed on and near Tidewater Gardens and on additional sites within the CNI target area; it calls for another 70 units off-site. New apartments will be constructed through the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) program and use private debt and Choice Neighborhoods Initiative funding.
The structure of the new units:
- On-site units (714):
- 260 units with direct rental assistance as part of the unit
- 238 affordable units that will accept Section 8 vouchers
- 216 market-rate apartments
- Off-site units:
- 70 units, developed privately, with direct rental assistance.
- An additional 288 households will be provided housing-choice vouchers
HUD requires the Tidewater Gardens redevelopment to be completed by September 2025; we are on the following schedule:
- Relocation (a phased approach) – 2019-2022
- Demolition (a phased approach) – 2020-2023
- Infrastructure (roads, water, sewer, stormwater) – 2021-2024
- Blue/Greenway – 2023-2025
- Housing construction – 2021-2025
Leafy, tree-lined streets and modern, comfortable residential living will make the new neighborhood the perfect place to call home. Town homes. Multi-family homes. Homes for people of all ages, incomes and backgrounds. And all just steps to shopping, dining and downtown Norfolk.
A Vibrant and Diverse Neighborhood